To Fall and Beyond: 6 Summer Wardrobe Staples to Wear NOW!
Summer will soon be drawing to an end. It’s time to channel ‘The Sound of Music’ and say “So long, farewell, Auf Wiedersehen, goodnight” to those shorts, tees, and tanks that you’ve practically lived in all summer long.
Or is it?? I’ve put together a few tips to help you transition your favorite summer pieces into fall and get more mileage out of your wardrobe!
1. Denim Shorts –This is by far the easiest transition to make, trust me! I mean, yeah sure, denim cutoffs are totally a summer basic, but they also look super appropriate (and way cute) in the fall when styled with seasonal pieces. Sometimes making the transition into fall with a summer piece is as simple as pairing it with a long-sleeved top. Wear those shorts with a long-sleeve blouse or layer up your look with a tailored blazer. Better yet, toss on a cozy sweater. Boom – transition made. If the weather is chillier and you just can’t bear to bare your legs, throw on a pair of black tights underneath, add ankle boots, and voila! Fall cool-girl fashion at its finest! We like Banana Republic’s selection of comfy but fashionable sweaters, and you’ll also find a good selection of quality blazers. Gap is also a great go-to for stylish but casual long-sleeve options. Hit up these two fan favorites, and you’re sure to find the perfect pieces to style with your summer shorts to rock them into next season!
2. Breezy Dresses – Still chilly? Try styling your dress under a button-front shirt with a v-neck sweater on top….belt it, and you’re ready to take on the cooler temps in style (ie – basically wearing the dress as a skirt)! What about your shirt-dresses? Treat them just like a regular button-down top – layer it under a sweater or blazer, and again, pull it all together with a chic belt. I do suggest storing your summer sandals, and instead style your dresses with a heavier shoe silhouette for fall. A knee boot will work well, as will a chunky ankle boot. If you’re opting for pumps, anything in suede or a jewel tone will be lovely. Bevello and Buckle both have great selection of chunky fall shoes. As for belts, I recommend Francesca’s for the widest selection. Of course, they will also have lots of those v-neck sweaters, just perfect for layering!
3. Flower Power – Floral prints DO scream summer, yes. But with a little styling finesse, you can wear those florals right into fall. Take your Palm Garden floral top and pair it with dark skinny jeans and booties for a killer weekend look. For a more office-appropriate take, pair your florals with a crisp, black suit and killer accessories. If you’re brave, mix up those patterns, and pair your floral skirt with a striped top. Just because the weather is cooler doesn’t mean we have to be boring! (But promise to keep your mixed prints in the same color family)! Stop by J.Crew or New York & Company for your suiting pieces and for a plethora of choices when it comes to jeans. The style experts at both stores would be glad to help you mix up your patterns if you need a little inspiration or just a nudge to try something daring!
4. White Jeans – Ok, so your grandmother might tell you that wearing white after Labor Day is fashion suicide. And back in the day, it probably was. Lucky for us, this is 2016, and we’re tossing all those outdated rules right out the window! I have 2 words for you: WINTER WHITE. White jeans are definitely a do in fall when paired with slouchy sweaters, boots and lightweight jackets. And seriously, adding a simple scarf will make pretty much any white piece look perfect for fall! All of our stores are full of scarves, but Fedora is a great go-to, and the ladies who work there seemingly know hundreds of ways to tie them!
5. White Shoes – The same rules for white jeans also apply to white shoes. Sleek pumps, chunky ankle boots, or even a basic flat are all totally fall appropriate, even in white. You will want to stash the white sandals and espadrilles for sure, but as long as the shoe itself isn’t overly strappy or blatantly screaming summer, a white shoe will look crisp and clean through fall and even into winter. If you want to pick up a new pair of white shoes specifically for wearing into fall, this is a great time to find an amazing deal! Rack Room Shoes is a good choice for flats and even pumps, and Belk’s always has an amazing assortment of the cutest styles!
6. Open Toe Shoes – At the risk of evoking images of men mowing the lawn in black socks with brown sandals, I promise you that peep-toe pumps, booties and flats can be our friends for fall! Anything with a chunky heel is perfect, as are darker colored or jewel toned shoes; but as I mentioned above, you’ll want to store away anything that looks too overtly summer-ish. To protect your cute little piggies from frostbite, pair those peep-toes with a cute sock or a great pair of charcoal gray tights. Just make sure that you don’t have an unsightly reinforced toe or seam line showing, and you’re gold. The key here is to make the look seem “intentional,” and not like you completely forgot that your toes were showing! And again, use a little good judgement here….if there’s snow on the ground, or if you have a long walk to your building in 45 degree temps, you may want to forgo the open toe! Marshall’s is always my first stop when looking for stylish socks, tights and more to keep those tootsies warm all season long!
Basically, we all just want to get the most out of our wardrobe. We spend a lot of time and money filling our closets with fabulous pieces, and we should wear those pieces as much as possible! And, truth be told, those summer pieces are the perfect jumping off point for fall! With a little layering and seasonal styling tricks, those summer pieces will take you into October and beyond! Happy fall, friends!
Story by Paige Somervell
About the Author: As you can see Paige loves all things fashion, but she is also passionate about football, with the Carolina Panthers being her #1 team and rightly so, they made it to the SuperBowl. Whether she is at work or at play she is always in style.